Tuesday, March 06, 2012

PLAYDOUGH FOR DUMMIES

I just made a big batch of squishy red playdough. I can't believe people still buy playdough when it can be made for nothing, customised with a lovely smell and then kept it in the fridge for ages. My last blue batch has lasted a year and is still going strong but the kids keep asking me for more colours.






Here's the recipe:
  • 1 mug plain flour (I don't have an American 'cup', so I just use a coffee mug, it's probably the same)
  • 2 tablespoon cream of tartar
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 4 tablespoons salt (to preserve & tastes horrible so kids don't eat it)
  • 1 mug (same measurement as flour) water
+
  • food colouring
  • vanilla essence/cinnamon

Mix first batch of ingredients together in a pan and keep stirring for 5 minutes over medium heat. Don't leave pan to burn, keep stirring. It will go lumpy. Even when you think it's all going horribly wrong and not thickening, have faith, it will suddenly thicken up and the lumps will come out when you knead it. When it gets thick, take off heat, add a dash of colour and knead for a bit. Add a bit more flour if it's too sticky. I like to add vanilla essence and cinnamon to give it a lovely smell. Makes the hands smell nice too. My favourite smell from childhood is vanilla because of playing with vanilla-smelly playdough. Every time I smell vanilla it takes me right back to childhood. Delish. 

Store it inside a plastic bag, inside an old margarine container in the fridge. Keeps fresh for infinity...

Enjoy





No comments: